Council Regulation (EU) No 333/2011 of 31 March 2011
ASTRAIA® Certification, Ltd. provides a new service for scrap metal processors related to a change in philosophy and perspective on waste in the European Union (EU). Since 2008, waste has been seen a valuable source of raw materials for the future throughout Europe and Europe is turning into a recycling society under Directive 2008/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 November 2008 on waste. The main objective is the efficient use of the generated waste as a secondary raw material in the next production process. Therefore, the EU is preparing a set of regulations that will define the criteria for the waste that will become a secondary raw material.
In fulfilling this philosophy the European Union issued Council Regulation (EU) No. 333/2011 of 31 March 2011 (further only ‘the Regulation’) establishing the criteria when the metal scrap ceases to be waste.
The Regulation refers to the specific criteria
- the quality of input waste
- the methods of and
- the quality of the raw material.
Very brief requirements under the Regulation that must be met by organizations:
- to develop a systematic tools to ensure continuous improvement;
- to establish control procedures for the waste takeover (feedstock);
- to monitor the methods and techniques of scrap metal procession;
- to monitor the quality of scrap metal resulting from the valorisation process;
- to monitor the radioactivity
- all operations must be carried out by trained and competent personnel;
- the Regulation requires certain procedures to be documented.
The entity that meets these requirements and has a certified quality management system may then reclassify scrap metal waste as a secondary raw material and offer it on the market as a commodity.
ASTRAIA® Certification, Ltd. verifies and confirms the conformity of the quality management system with the given Regulation. At the same time, we are able to provide the trainings on the interpretation of individual criteria and requirements that must be fulfilled by the certified entity in practice.